Surgery is often the best solution for many injuries and illnesses. But physical therapy can actually speed up the recovery process after a surgery, known as the postoperative, or post-surgery, recovery or rehabilitation. Physical therapy is often suggested to patients undergoing surgeries such as rotator cuff repair, cervical/lumbar fusion, or joint replacement in San Diego. Patients will be taught a number of skills and practices that are important for recovery after surgery, including how to safely move in bed, get in and out of a chair, and use assistive devices such as crutches or a walker.
After surgery, we ensure you return to your prior level of physical fitness. This includes successful recreational activities, returning to work, and competitive sports.
Our postoperative physical rehabilitation program can speed your recovery period. It’ll likely begin while you’re still in the hospital. Our professional therapists will help you move out of bed, get you on your feet again, and get you ready to go home.
The Postoperative Physical Rehabilitation Program at Mesa Physical Therapy is designed for each individual patient. It focuses on matching their particular surgery with the most appropriate physical rehabilitation treatment specific to their case. We understand that physical rehabilitation for your particular surgery is not a one-size-fits-all treatment. For example, we know from experience, that not all knee surgeries or scopes are the same. We know that each surgery needs to be treated differently depending on the specific case. This occasionally includes a specialized treatment plan prior to surgery, which will give your body a head start once you start your recovery.
Who Can Benefit?
Our highly skilled and experienced staff has received the extensive training and education necessary to treat multiple postoperative procedures, such as:
- ACL Reconstruction
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Knee or Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Cervical/Lumbar Fusion
- Tendon Transfers
- Ligament and Tendon Repairs
- Joint Replacement
- Joint Fusion
- Nerve Compression Release
What Can Our Postoperative Physical Rehabilitation Center offer you?
- A comprehensive evaluation with a Physical Therapist that will assess your musculoskeletal health and surgical rehabilitation needs.
- A personal plan of care designed by a Physical Therapist in accordance with your surgical procedure, age, specific goals, current level of fitness and/or any medical condition.
- Professional one-on-one, hands-on treatment performed by a highly qualified therapist that will help you achieve your goal of fast and successful surgical recovery.
- A comfortable, clean, safe and relaxed environment where you can receive the attention and individualized care that promotes physical rehabilitation and healing.
- Friendly personal staff that will provide you with the support, guidance and encouragement you need to achieve your goals.
- Accountability to achieve long lasting results through structured, supervised appointments and documented progress during each appointment.
- All the important tools and resources you need to better understand your surgery, physical rehabilitation treatment and gain the confidence and discipline to achieve your goals.
While carefully following your doctor’s protocol, the experts of Mesa Physical Therapy will create a specific treatment plan to address your particular surgery procedure and give you the best possible outcome. Together, with your surgical and rehabilitation team of healthcare professionals, you will determine short and long-term goals that are optimistic and achievable. Our Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Program will protect your surgery and work gently and progressively, towards giving you the fastest path to recovery.
At Mesa Physical Therapy, we strive to provide availability of appointments according to your doctor’s orders. Please be sure to call us before your surgery to make sure you get the appointment at the time/date your doctor needs for you. Please be advised, most surgeons frequently request post-op patients to be seen a couple days after surgery to remove bandages.
Experienced, kind, professional, and most important -- effective. MPT has helped me and my son recover from injuries that required surgery. When Mark told me that I was ready to "graduate" from my four plus months of physical therapy, I was a little bit sad. It was an amazing experience. My recovery was tough, but Mark knew how to help me not only physically but also psychologically. He motivated me to push through the pain, and he was right every step of the way. He has done the same with my son, who is soon ready to return to playing soccer after six plus months of physical therapy. We are so delighted with his recovery. Plus the office staff is great - always friendly and responsive, ready to help....especially Jaimie. Thank you!